Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Twired Does WFE...Finally.

Last night Elusive S & I met at the theatre after work to see Water for Elephants. Sure we might have been a couple of days behind, but hey, we had Taco Bell & champagne! Who knows if we'd have been able to get away with that in a more crowded theatre?  There were literally 7 additional people there...yes, I counted.  And, no one our age...a couple of elderly folks, a sweet gay couple that joked with us about our choice of movie food and two ladies in their early 40's. Random.

Anyway, as the the movie started I knew right off the bat that I was going to love it.  It was pretty much exactly how I'd envisioned it...and that rarely happens after reading a book. Sure, they left out some parts that wouldn't have necessarly worked when trying to squeeze everything in, but I didn't miss them. 

What I did miss was the chemistry I'd envisioned between Jacob and Marlena.  JJ had mentioned this in her post about WFE, which I'd read prior to last night.  I agree, it wasn't there, the chemsitry. Now I'm not sure if that's because we're so used to seeing Rob with Kristen in Twilight, or if it's because it's Rob & Reese and it just didn't work?  Truthfully I didn't feel that he had chemistry with what's her face in Remember Me either.  Don't most of the actors that actually have on screen chemistry, end up having off screen chemistry too? Brad & Angelina, Reese & Ryan, Anna & Steven, Penelope & Javier, Tom & Nicole...granted they didn't all last, but they did have on screen chemistry. Don't let me mislead you. I'm not saying you have to be bumping uglies in real life to portray authentic chemistry on camera, but I'm sure it helps.

One of the things that surprised me the most about this film was how "pretty" it was.  Sure, the pre-teh helped, but it was such a beautiful movie. The costumes and set were believable & very visually stimulating.  And Rob, oh boy oh boy.



Gorgeous.


I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't a fan of the WFE hair. It's not just that it was short (I like his hair short sometimes) it's that it was short on the sides and longer on top....eh...not a fan. However, in the movie all prejudices regarding his hair went out the window. He look amazing, and so perfect for that time period.

By the way, Christoph Waltz was a PERFECT August. Perfect. Lastly, who couldn't adore Tai as Rosie. Wow.  Such a beautiful creature!  It killed me to watch August beat her with the bull hook. 



"Reunited and it feels sooo good."


Have you seen it yet? Was I the last one on earth? :)

Share your thoughts!

XOXO J

8 comments:

  1. I almost couldn't watch the scenes where August abused Rosie... I nearly started sobbing. But I think that fucking elephant stole the show. I now know why Rob was so enamored with her. I want her to be my pet... I want him to be my pet too but for other reasons. And oh how I love that haircut...

    I do agree with you on the chemistry. But it didn't ruin the movie for me. I think it was pretty powerful otherwise so I could overlook the lack of smoldering lust between Jacob and Marlena. I was hoping for a bit more of a love scene though. Just a little disappointed at that.

    Christoph was amazing. He actually make me cower in my seat.

    Rob was amazingly beautiful. But I do think he has a lot of growing to do as an actor. I look forward to watching him grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you LKW. It didn't ruin the movie for me, it was just off.

    ;) xo J

    ReplyDelete
  3. the chemistry wasn't crazy good, but i def felt something when they danced together and a few times when he looked at her. but they look so darn pretty together i think it distracted me enough.

    it was a solid movie. hope that christoph and the costume designers get a nod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no complaints. I loved everything about the movie; the set, costumes, the acting... Tai the Elephant... Hot ass Rob. I was never disappointed, not for one second. WFE was truly a breath of fresh air from all the other movies that I'm forced to watch. I absolutely enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed WFe and I didn't read the book. I agree there was something lacking in the chemistry department. Personally, I thought the "love" scenes were a little weird. There were no ksising noises or moaning or anything like that. Just a nice musical interlude. I know Rob was really sick when they did the sex scene so maybe he just sounded all congested and unsexy so they cut out all the noises. I just thought it was weird. did anyone else notice that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know full well you're not the last one on earth bb!

    Skimming any WFE review posts so as not to spoil... but then, I am a spoiler h00r so I read anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only complaint I have about the movie is that it wasn't longer to include more elements from the book so that the audience goers who hadn't read the book could appreciate the relationships more. I wanted more of Old Jacob in the nursing home. I wanted more of Young Jacob with Kinko and Camel. And of course I wanted more of Jacob and Marlena in bed ;) I think their chemistry was right for the tone of the times and the story. She was married. He was a virgin. She was afraid of August and afraid of what he could do to Jacob if they were caught. Jacob was just awestruck by her and also sad for her situation. It was a wild fling. It was time of fear and figuring out where it would all go. I hope that makes sense.

    I'm glad you came around about Rob's WFE hair. You know I never could understand how you couldn't like it. LOL! I think you were thinking more of it growing out like it was at the Eclipse premiere, etc. The camera loves that boy.

    You're right that the move was so "pretty" and visually stunning. I hope that that the set director and costume designer are up for Academy awards.

    I can't wait to go and see it again. Have only gotten their twice so far :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crap! I meant "It was NOT a wild fling."

    ReplyDelete

Say it...OUT LOUD!